In order to keep an air-conditioning system running efficiently, it is crucial to keep the compressor in tip-top shape. There are a few vital areas to take into consideration when focusing on the life of your compressor– troubleshooting, maintenance, and tools. Be sure to follow these tips to keep your air-conditioning system running efficiently, especially in the up-coming warmer weather:
- Keep your condenser oil clean. A dirty condenser will cause higher than normal head pressures, which creates heat and will cause your saturated suction temperatures to be warm, causing compression failures.
- Check superheat settings. Too low of superheat may cause liquid flooding, which is bad for the compressor.
- Test electrical integrity. If you question any readings- get to the terminal to retake the readings. However, before you go and pull wires off, carefully inspect the terminals and the surroundings for any burn or fatigue signs. If an area is showing signs of terminal failure or burns, proceed with extreme caution.
- Be sure to check: the capacitor, superheat, subcooling, crankcase heater, contractor voltage drop, and the disconnect condition
- Lubrication is Key. Be sure to have enough oil to make sure the system is not flooding back and diluting the oil. Test the oil safety control, if there is one, by verifying the pressure setting and checking the timing.
- Well-Trained Technicians
- Measure compressor winding insulation integrity using a megohmmeter
- Measure refrigerant pressures and compare them to factory data
- All measurements need to be done with an instrument! Your hand is not a thermometer, and simply saying “it feels cold” is not correct data!
Source: The NEWS “Contractor Tips for Long Compressor Life”